The Ladies Leukemia League, Inc. is an organization of 225 women who
have dedicated themselves to the purpose of raising funds for leukemia
research in the Gulf South region of Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. We
have raised over $3.6
million in "pilot" or "seed" money for research scientists working in leukemia and lymphoma research, or related fields. Beginning September 1, 2017 we will be accepting applications for our 2018-2019 grant program. In an effort to award more grants, LLL's Board of Directors has put a $30,000 cap on all grants issued.
Here is how our process works:
Researchers interested in applying for grants should read the following and fill in information where applicable. (Please note that if your project has previously been funded by another organization or institution, it is not eligible to be funded by Ladies Leukemia League.)
Instructions for Preparing Grant Application
- LLL, Inc. Research Grant Application Participation Agreement
- Title Page
- Proposed Budget for One-Year Project
All forms, along with the researcher's description of the project and résumé, must be returned to LLL,
NO LATER THAN DECEMBER 15, 2017.
All applications are then placed before a panel of Medical Advisors who evaluate the proposals and submit recommendations for funding. Our Board of Directors receives the recommendations, reviews the findings, and then the selected researchers are notified and asked to attend our May 2018 meeting to receive the first half of their grant. The balance will be paid at the halfway point of the program in December 2018 at our Fête de Noël Luncheon.
#9 Carlsbad Street
Kenner, LA 70065
Researchers who wish to apply for grant assistance can consult the following sections for instructions and required forms, all in printable PDF format:
Grant Regulations, Requirements, and Timelines
- Notification of the awarding of the Ladies Leukemia League, Inc. grant shall be no later than May 1st, with the award to be presented at the May Meeting of the Ladies Leukemia League,
- The Ladies Leukemia League, Inc. shall make grant disbursements directly to the institution (research center, hospital, university, et cetera) with which the recipient is presently affiliated, as shown on the application. In the event the recipient should transfer to another institution, recipient must notify the Ladies Leukemia League,
Inc. prior to the transferring of such funds.
- The recipient of the grant shall be awarded fifty percent (50%) of the grant sum at the time of the May 2018 grant awards announcements. The balance shall be paid when the recipient reaches the midway point of the research project, or 6 months after the initial payment, whichever comes first (December 2018). In either case, the recipient shall submit a brief written report giving the status of the research and requesting the balance of the grant. The final report is due to LLL May 31, 2019. If it is anticipated that the research project will require more than a twelve (12) month period (June 1-May 31) for completion, the recipient should so state.
The proceeds of all research grants shall be used only
for payment of personnel (up to 5% of the grant to PIs, 50% of the grant to
tech support), equipment, consumables, and other direct expenses. No
indirect, general or administrative expenses are to be paid from the
proceeds of the research grant. Registration fees and/or travel expenses
may not be paid with LLL grant money.
- If, for any reason, the project is interrupted or suspended, the Ladies Leukemia League,
Inc. must be notified immediately in writing. If the period of interruption exceeds four months, the recipient must apply in writing to Ladies Leukemia League,
Inc. for an extension. The Board of Directors of Ladies Leukemia League,
Inc. will review the request for an extension. The recipient will be notified in writing of the Board's decision. If the extension is denied the unexpended funds shall be returned within 30 days of notification of the denial. All unexpended funds must be returned.
- If the recipient leaves the Gulf South Region (the states of Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas) before completion of the research project, all unused funds must be returned.
- Once the research project has been completed, a brief written report shall be submitted to the Ladies Leukemia League,
Inc.. In all cases the report must be submitted within twelve (12) months from the receipt of the research grant, unless an extension has been granted under Paragraph 3 above.
- At the expiration of the twelve (12) month period (June 1-May 31), a financial accounting shall be submitted to the Ladies Leukemia League,
Inc. for review. A financial accounting shall be submitted at the end of the twelve (12) month period, even if an extension has been applied for or granted. If an extension is granted, a final financial accounting shall be submitted when the extension expires.
- If upon completion of the project or expiration of the Ladies Leukemia League,
Inc. grant term, including any extensions, not all funds have been expended, then the remaining balance shall be returned to the Ladies Leukemia League,
Inc. within 90 days.
- There is a cap of $30,000 per recipient.
- The Ladies Leukemia League, Inc. grant account maintained by any grant recipient shall contain ONLY FUNDS GRANTED BY LADIES LEUKEMIA LEAGUE,
Ladies Leukemia League, Inc.
P.O. Box 9355
Metairie, LA 70055-9355
FÊTE DE NÖEL
Medical Advisory Panel 2018 -
Jayne Gurtler, M.D.
3939 Houma Boulevard
Metairie, LA 70006
Roy S. Weiner, M.D.
TULANE UNIVERSITY HEALTH SCIENCES CENTER
TULANE CANCER CENTER
1430 Tulane Avenue SL: 68
New Orleans, LA 70112-2632
LiLi, M.D., Ph.D.
Tom Benson Cancer Center
1514 Jefferson Highway 1N508
New Orleans, LA 70121